Thursday, December 21, 2006

Do Too List

Winter break started today and I spent most of it cleaning house and working in my 4-track studio. I am still recording the "best little record I ever made twice". I say this, because most of the material I am working on was on June Bug Mix Vol. 3. Immediately after putting that out I went up to Chicago and recorded it all again with my cousin Drew on drums. Drew and I were hoping to snag a few of his bandmates to help with things, but they were hard to get a hold of leaving me with the task of finishing the rest of the parts myself back in Champaign.

I am perfectly able to finish these other parts, but since I am working alone, it takes a loooong time. It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist and 4-track is a less than forgiving medium. I sat down today after I did some work on Mr. Wolfman and wrote a list to assess the situation. I felt pretty good after I recorded the stuff on Mr. Wolfman, but as I wrote out the list and mixed things down to give Drew for a Christmas present, I got depressed. This record will never get finished! The one good thing I can say at this point is that I began writing the material about this time last year and all the songs have worn pretty well after repeated listened for a year. (Believe me you find out if a song is dumb when you're on the 45th take for the electric guitar part!)
Here's the list:
1. Name the record: Mr. Wolfman is an obvious choice. Its the catchiest song on the record, but is there some kind of Trademark thing with Universal pictures or can I pass it off as a literary allusion?
Maybe an anagram of Walter Boyd? "Two Bad Lyre"? "Badly Wrote"? Take suggestions from fans? (what fans?)
2. Mr. Wolfman: lacks-bass guitar
3. Monk for the Summer: fix-guitar, harmonica
lacks- el. guitar, bass
4. Tired Old Love Song: lacks- el. guitar, bass
5. Catcher in the Rye: fix- guitar
lacks-bass, el. guitar
6. You've Got To get Out of This Town: lacks- percussion
7. When We Come Home: fix-guitar
lacks- bass, el.guitar
8. Sweet Summer Wine: lacks-bass
9. All I Wanna Do: lacks-bass
10: Good Friday: get Javier over here to sing back up!

My wife calls "Badly Wrote" one of my "twenty projects", but its a big one. I have no motivation to do any of my "twenty projects", which is sad because AC Ink was all excited about my new comic I'm working on. (Beth even blogged about it! Now I have to produce a product!)

So here's the to do list of all my twenty projects:
1. Finish record in timely fashion!
2. Draw "a week in september" (common you have 1 of 16 pages done! Chop chop!)
3. Script and block out "tower of babel" comic
4. finish blocking out Graphic Poems piece and draw it
5. finish My Life in Records script and get cracking on it! You've finally go some readers. You can't abandon it now!
6. write comixpedia article.

1 comment:

I am not Kek-w said...

Really like that "Birdsworth" track of yrs, Grant...