Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Piperka

I was introduced to webcomics by the Webcomicker, who is a guy I actually used to live with. Since he introduced me to them I've started my own comic and we've collaborated on a fixed art strip written by him.

But I have been hesitant to really dig into reading webcomics, mainly because once I find one that I'm sort of interested in, I get intimidated by the sheer volume of the archives that I'd have to read in order to get myself caught up with the story. This is compounded by the fact that I usually go for longer narratives rather than the traditional newspaper-style gag-a-day strips, so there's usually a great deal of plot to get caught up on once I actually stumble onto them.

Once again, Webcomicker has saved the day. He wrote about a site called Piperka where you can "subscribe" to comics and anytime you sign in, it tells you how many sites have updated and how many strips have been added to each site since your last login.

The best feature is that you can sign up for a comic with a big archive of strips and set the bookmark at the beginning. Then you can read through them at your leisure stopping and starting when you like and you can reset the bookmark for the strip you've just finished reading, thereby never losing your place! (Much like using a real bookmark in a real book. You know those things with several hundred pieces of paper bound together. The bookmark goes inbetween the pieces of paper so you can come back and read where you left off.)

So go over and discover some comics (like mine) that intimidated you in the past because of their vast archives.

Now if they could only set this up for television, so I can figure out what in the world Lost is all about.

No comments: