Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Metamorphosis Comic



Sometimes I wish I was all smart and more well read and had read some of the ancient classic literature, like the Odessesy. We read a one page excerpt of the Ilyad and watched a really old film version of Oedipus in world lit sophemore year in high school. My senior year, we read Lysastrata in AP English. But other than that, my knowledge of classic literture is pretty spotty.

Derik Badman piqued my curiousity with his experimental webcomic, Maroon and his latest project, Things Change, looks pretty promising. He says its based on Ovid's Metamorphoses. I've never read it, but so far I've still been intrigued. Its a bit like my viewing of O Brother Where Art Thou without reading the Oddessy. He is using visual rhyming a lot in an early sequence about a relationship remembered from both points of view. Derik writes a lot about the formal side of comics compositions in his companion blog, Mad Ink Beard, and you can see him applying a lot of his theories to the comic.

But its not art for art's sake, or stylistic excercises, the story is being told well and though its pretty early in the run, I'm very interested in where it will be going.






No comments: